Saturday, December 10, 2016

Going in Circles

Circuitous Paths
A stranger knocks on your door, asking for directions from your home to the closest gas station (or café, or library. Your pick!). Instead of the fastest and shortest route, give him/her the one involving the most fun detours.
New Picture (12)
If you need to find your way, don’t ask it of P;
His sense of direction is blighted as it could be:
If with his help your journey was charted,
You could end up where you started;
For poor P is indeed not street wise,
And going in circles you’ll soon realise,
His concept of the earth being round.
But on the journey of life, his theories may seem sound!
New Picture (13)
Stranger: “Sorry to trouble you like this but I am from out-of-town and am a bit lost here. Would you be able to direct me to the city centre?
P: “Not a problem, mate. Where exactly in the city centre do you wish to go?”
Stranger: “I’ve come to participate in the craft market at the show grounds”
P: “Ah! It’s quite far away. Chris, my neighbour was talking about the market the other day and he said it is twenty minutes’ drive from here. I’ll tell you what would work best. I’ll jump in the car with you and show you how to get there”
Stranger: “That’s very kind of you. But how will you get back?”
P: “Don’t you worry about that. I’ll manage to get a ride back somehow just as I found one now to get to the market. You see, I had asked Chris to take me there in his car but he had not obliged, but I have found a ride now...” P smiled.
Stranger: “OK then, that’s fine with me”
P hopped into the stranger’s car and off they went to the market. However, after taking numerous left turns, right turns and driving north, south, east and west, the stranger looked at his watch and said “I guess we have now been driving for more than forty minutes and you said it would only be a twenty minutes’ drive?”
P: “We are nearly there. You should not be in such a panic. Do you believe in souls and reincarnation?”
Stranger: “Yes ....but what has that to do with anything here now?”
P philosophised: “You know, souls are eternal and with reincarnation, what they can’t accomplish this life, they can achieve in the next or the next or the next.... There is eternity ahead and so you should not be so anxious about time. In this round world, we just go in circles...life after life after life... Unless you stop the cycle of rebirth”
Stranger a bit perplexed now: “I don’t want to be late for the market!”
P: “I know, I know!...  And that’s why I am trying to help you out here... Wait!...Stop!... Can you just take a U-turn and go back to the big, grey building we saw a kilometre behind us?”
Stranger: “But there didn’t seem to be any show grounds there. I read the board and it said  'Tourist Information centre'!”
P said sheepishly: “Exactly! Let’s go in there and get a map and some directions. To tell you the truth, I have a very poor sense of direction and am totally lost as well!”


Tourist information centre

No comments:

Post a Comment